Sunday, June 13, 2010

Seven Down, Twenty More to Go

This past Thursday, the Philly Food Feed continued on with our Farmers' Market Marathon with a stop at the Oxford Circle Farmers' Market on the corner of Oxford and Summerdale Avenues in Northeast Philadelphia.
This is what we at the Feed consider "our old stomping ground", since this area is where Ben grew up. Another point of significance for this market is that it is the ONLY growers farmers' market on Northeast Philadelphia. This point is a bone of contention for us here at the feed, considering that the Northeast is where we currently reside and while we do love exploring all areas in the city (we are doing this Farmers' Market Marathon after all), we still would love to have a place we can get fruit within a few miles of our house...other than Pathmark.
Now that the rant is out of the way, on to the market! Stationed in front of Dough Boys Pizza, this market consisted of one vendor, an Amish family from Lancaster County. I wish I could tell you more about them but I am going to describe them as...cagey. When I asked them the name of their farm the one gentleman said they did not have a name. Ok. I put in an e-mail to market manager Rachel for some more info, but as of this writing, I have not heard back. Thursday was her first day and I know she also works at the Saturday market at Head House, so we will cut her a break.
I was able to purchase a pint of cherries, a pint of strawberries, and a bunch of radishes for a little over six dollars, which I found to be a good deal. As did Ethan, who insisted on eating one of the strawberries then and there. I enjoyed them later, as well as the cherries, which are probably one of my favorite fruits. Their growing season is short so I take advantage of the opportunity to buy them whenever I can. These had an equal amount of tart and sweet, which equaled delicious.
So there you have it. Seven down, twenty more to go! Coming up next - the Saturday Farmers' Market at the Reading Terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on The Philly Food Feed!