Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Philadelphia Green Fest - Part I

So Sunday was the fourth annual Green Fest on South Street in Philadelphia. I wanted to blog about the Feed’s experience there but there was just so much information on various degrees of sustainable living that I had to take some time to sift through it all and I’m still not done. I think I’m just going to blog a little about it now and periodically throughout the next few weeks I will pepper in information from the various kiosks and vendors I encountered.

Before I even begin addressing Green Fest, I just wanted to mention that before we even began touring the fest, we started our Sunday at the Headhouse Farmers’ Market, as has been our weekly custom this summer. After numerous suggestions to try North Star Orchard’s Asian Pears, I had to give them a try. Thank heavens. I have never been privy to an Asian Pear and I’m fairly certain there are those out there in Philly Food Feed Land (if such a place existed…) who have not tasted this bodacious bounty of nature. Here is the deal – it crunches like an apple, tastes like a sweet, sweet pear, and has enough juice to run down both arms. I saw people paying and then eating the pears without skipping a beat; I now know why. If there is ever any advice you take from this blog, take this – get these pears while they last. Well, wait. There is one more piece of advice to take if you ever take any – after you are done buying these pears at North Star, take a little walk through the throngs of people to the Feed’s old friend – Ben Wenk at Three Springs Fruit Farm for his Honey Crisp Apples. I mean really. These apples are as big as my baby son’s head and have as much flavor. No, my son’s head doesn’t have flavor, but you get my drift. The flavor is so well balanced between sub-acid and mildly aromatic and they are loaded with juice; the flavor of these apples make your eyes roll into the back of your head. Plus, eating one is like eating an entire meal. I have said it before and I will say it again – go Ben Wenk and GO THREE SPRINGS FRUIT FARM!!!

Ok, now on the Green Fest.Sustainable living descended upon 2nd and South like Amber Waves of Green. Everywhere we looked we were bombarded with information about solar power, organic foods, RGBH in school children’s milk, orchards in the city, sustainable cake, the horrors of factory farming…I could go on. Like I said, I’m going to take it slow, one at a time. Today I’m going to spotlight a charming little cup cake company that, among other delectable, delightfully decorated delicacies, bakes up a line of “Green Cakes”! A Cupcake Wonderland offers a line of cupcakes using organic and local ingredients. And these cupcakes aren’t just eatable, they are art. They look almost too good to eat! Check out their website and if you are even in need of cupcakes, look to Lily and Erin first! Just check out their website and look at their Oscar the Grouch cupcake and tell me it isn't incredible! Baby Ethan's birthday is next week...hmmm...And by the way, they are looking for local soy milk producers. If you have any ideas, give them a ring!

1 comment:

  1. Wow this company sounds totally awesome. I actually had one of their cupcakes and it was delicious! They truly baked my dreams come true, thanks for featuring them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on The Philly Food Feed!